Granny Howard’s Pound Cake Recipe
- 1/2 lb. butter
- 2 1/2-3 c sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 c sweet milk (or sour cream or buttermilk)
- 1/2-2/3 tsp baking soda
- 3 c flour
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together milk and baking soda.
- Gradually add milk mixture to the butter and sugar mixture, beating until well combined.
- Gradually add flour and salt (if using) to the mixture, beating on medium speed for 12 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a loaf pan.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes at 350°F, then reduce the heat to 325°F and continue baking for an additional 30 minutes. Do not open the oven while baking.
- Once finished, allow cake to cool before serving.
Granny Howard’s Pound Cake Recipe is a classic, old-fashioned dessert that has been passed down through generations. This traditional Southern Pound Cake recipe is made with simple ingredients, including butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, sweet milk (or sour cream or buttermilk), baking soda, flour, and salt. The cake is made by creaming the butter and sugar, beating in the eggs and vanilla, mixing together the milk and baking soda, and gradually adding in the flour and salt. The batter is then baked in a loaf pan at 350°F for 30 minutes, before reducing the heat to 325°F for an additional 30 minutes.
This Granny Howard’s Pound Cake Recipe is a beloved family tradition, with roots dating back to post-Civil War Kentucky. According to family legend, Granny Howard’s mother Elizabeth used this recipe to deter “carpetbaggers” from burning down their home. Today, this pound cake is still a staple in Southern homes, served on special occasions and as a sweet after-dinner treat.
This Homemade Pound Cake Recipe is an easy-to-follow, egg-based cake recipe that is perfect for cake-baking enthusiasts of all skill levels. Whether you prefer the traditional flavor of a Vanilla Pound Cake or the tangy taste of a Sweet Milk Pound Cake, this Granny Howard’s Pound Cake Recipe is sure to deliver a fluffy, delicious dessert that will become a staple in your home. So why not try this traditional Southern dessert today and experience the old-fashioned goodness of Granny Howard’s Pound Cake Recipe!